DO I NEED TO KNOW GERMAN TO STUDY IN GERMANY?
- No. However, a working knowledge of the German language is useful. It becomes easy to relate to everyday requirements with some knowledge of the language. When you go to study in a country where the main language of Business and communication is German, it is always advisable to learn the language.
DO I HAVE TO TRANSLATE AND AUTHENTICATE MY CERTIFICATIONS AND DOCUMENTS?
- Usually the German authorities require officially translated documents done at specific offices.
IS THE ACADEMIC CALENDAR THE SAME IN GERMANY AND NORTH AMERICA?
- No. Generally there are two intakes: Winter Semester (October) and Summer Semester (March).
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO STUDY AT A GERMAN UNIVERSITY?
- Institutions of higher education in Germany usually do not charge any tuition fees. However, Private Universities are known to charge fees. Administration fee is as low as 300-500 Euros.
Important: Never hand in original documents, always make certified copies instead!
ARE THERE ANY COURSES OFFERED IN ENGLISH?
- Yes there are courses offered in English.
WHAT IS A “STUDIENKOLLEG” (FOUNDATION COURSE)?
- To be able to enter Bachelor studies in German Universities, after 12th standard or diploma, foreign students need to do a foundation program that is called “Studienkolleg” (foundation course) or Abitur.
- Good German language skills are required and at the end students give “Feststellungsprüfung” or FSP (university qualification assessment examination).
- The FSP includes language and subject tests.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TESTDAF AND DSH?
- TestDaf – Test Deutsche als Fremdsprache or Test of German as a Foreign Language is a language exam that can be taken outside Germany. It is widely accepted by universities.
- DSH – Deutsche Sprachprufung fur den Hochschulzugang – This examination is conducted by different universities within Germany itself. This too is widely accepted across German universities.
HOW DO I FIND A SUITABLE DEGREE PROGRAMME AT A UNIVERSITY?
- EduOptions will shortlist the universities based on the Students Academic Profile and Requirements.
IS GETTING VISA VERY DIFFICULT FOR GERMANY?
- Visa is generally given for a period of 3 months and then on extended.
- Students do not have problems securing a German student Visa.
- They need to show enough funds and should have transferred living expenses to the blocked account.
- Ielts score should be 6.5.
- Health Insurance is also required.